Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Intro

So I decided that no one really had documented exactly what it is like to be a single professional woman in the Eighth Largest City in Tennessee in 2011. Decided to give it a go.

I moved to JC, TN just over a year ago. It is a smallish place, took some getting used to. I spend most of my time working at the hospital, studying, and sleeping. When I do start to feel as though I am floating easier in life, no longer sputtering and treading water and drowning in my work, I can afford to be more introspective. Thus, the creation of this blog.

Don't really feel that I have anything much in common with Anna Karenina. If you haven't read the book, you should, if only because it was written by Leo Tolstoy, the greatest novelist of all time. It is about a woman who struggles with her lot in life as a Russian aristocrat, cheats on her husband for the entire book, learns that even that is not satisfying, and ends tragically. The whole story is pathetic, but so well written that you don't realize that she is a psycho despite being 700 pages into it (along the same lines as you find yourself trying to cover up for the murderous protagonist in Crime and Punishment).

The only thing I envy about Anna Karenina is that she has a story. It is not told because she lives happily ever after, because she is successful, or because her character is admirable in some way. Her tale is read over and over because the way it is told transports the reader to nineteenth century Russia, and you are there with her. If only I could tell my story in such a way as to give it validity: without the success, without the husband and kids, without the perfection.

I am 30 years old. I am a Christian. I am in surgical training. I am single. My days are not filled with a great deal of glory, but I am hoping to find a plot line that will thicken and a character that will blossom with utter transparency.

No comments:

Post a Comment